As a school staff member or coach, you want your athletes to succeed both on and off the field.
Your athletes are juggling a lot – exams, friendships, and intense competition schedules – not to mention the normal pains of growing into an adult.
With the stress of trying to fit in and the pressure to succeed, even the brightest student athletes can turn to drugs and alcohol as a way to cope. Sometimes we forget that even the most level-headed young adults can get derailed, turning to harmful choices that compromise their grades and their future.
I’m Jessica Joiner. As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and Licensed Addiction Counselor (LAC), I specialize in teaching student athletes how to manage the stress and pressure that comes with being a high-performing student athlete.
Allow me to be a valuable resource for you, your students, and your staff if you have questions and concerns about alcohol, drug use, specific illicit drugs, vaping, or prescription drugs in your student or athlete population.
Explore the following service options to determine which would benefit your school, team, or organization.
Educational Presentations & Workshops
As a coach or school staff member, you already have a lot on your plate. It can be helpful to lean on a mental health and addiction professional so that you don’t have to guess if you’re saying the right thing – or providing the most current data. I can tailor my presentations to what your student body or audience needs.
Topics may include:
- Destigmatizing mental health and addiction treatment – including myths that keep students or athletes from seeking out help.
- Warning signs that your students may be using or abusing alcohol or drugs.
- Treatment options for teens and young adults experiencing depression, anxiety, and addiction.
- Social justice issues facing today’s students, including sexism, racism, bias, and discrimination.
- How to support student athletes in balancing academic work with their athletic goals.
- Understanding how particular substances impact athletes and their play.
- Knowing the types of substances that your students are being exposed to and may be using.
- Implications and prevalence of marijuana misuse among high school or college students.
- Any other topic related to mental health or addiction – just ask!
I also provide consultations, trainings, and workshops to organizations and agencies, outside of academia, regarding any of the above topics, and they are tailored to the unique needs of your staff or agency.
Educational workshops and presentations are:
- Backed by evidence-driven techniques and time-tested knowledge.
- Drawn from over 10 years of experience working in the addiction and mental health field.
- Specifically tailored to the unique needs of your school, staff, students, agency or organization.
- Presented in a format and style that is dynamic, helpful, and no-nonsense.
- Focused on tangible action steps that your students or staff can apply as soon as they walk out the door.
- Ample time for questions and answers to ensure understanding and application of topics.
What are the next steps?
If you are interested in scheduling a training, presentation, or workshop, the first step is setting up a phone consultation. On this call, I can learn more about your needs and answer any questions about the process.
I’d be honored to work with you, in whatever capacity is the most helpful.
Please reach out to me at (303) 895-0635 to ask questions or discuss presentation options.